Following the Great British Baking Show - Swiss Rolls

I have been inspired to bake. This all started when watching the Great British Baking Show that dropped on Netflix recently. Watching the first challenge of the first episode of the first season on PBS - Swiss Rolls, something in my brain said "Hey, I want to do that!". So, with the help of my friend Nancee, we organized a Swiss Roll cooking and eating day. Then I discovered that for almost every episode, there was some baked creation I wanted to try - sometime mundane things like English Muffins, but more often the most outrageous items like - Princess Cake and Wind Torte. So I decided that I am going to take this inspiration and learn to be a better baker by baking through the episodes of the show.

I know, food blogs have been around for years now, and I would be surprised if what I have to offer provides anything earth-shatteringly new to the game. Then again, my blog is my personal diary than it is anything else, so the world will have to somehow manage with more electrons and bytes devoted to pictures of delicious baked goods.

I am not sure what exactly about Swiss Rolls that caught my imagination - the simple, but tricky sponge, the myriad of flavors and fillings that can be used, the wonderful swirls in the finished product. Most likely, it is a combination of all three.

Nancee and I choose different flavors for our Swiss Rolls - mine chocolate and orange, hers pistachio and cardamon. I was terribly nervous about getting the sponge right, and getting the roll pretty, and making ganache (which I had never done before).
But in the end, it turned out very delicious.




And since then I have made another chocolate Swiss Roll.



And now that I know what I am doing and inspired by all the possible flavor combinations, I see many more Swiss Rolls in my future.



Comments

Popular Posts