New Mexico Travel Log Day 6



Day 6 was a beautiful day. We had been up late the night before keying out plants (this was to be the status quo for the trip), and had an early morning. But I was really excited to see new sites. We had decided survey the plots that required the longest hike, to get them out of the way. I don't remember the distance of the hike, but it took us about an hour to get to the furthest site. We did have to climb a hill to get there, but this afforded me a great view of the river valley below.



I was surprised by the size of the trees along the river. I knew there would be trees, but I did not expect such beauties. The largest trees were the Arizona sycamores (Platanus wrightii, the white-barked tree below) and the Fremont cottonwood (Deltoides fremontii).


Here is a closeup of one of the sycamores.

I also fell in love with these ant mounds (I should really look up what ant species they are). The ants clear most of the vegetation surrounding their mounds.




Comments

Popular Posts