Words have Meaning File: Massacre

Massacre: an indiscriminate and brutal slaughter of people.

When I was 8 or 9, I read the "Little House" book series by Laura Ingalls Wilder, not uncommon for girls my age at the time. In one of the books, they are talking about a massacre that happened in a nearby town. At that age, I was privileged enough to not know massacre meant. I did, however, know the word mascara, and this is how my child's brain interpreted that passage.


I knew this wasn't right, that it didn't make sense, but I was 8 and just kept reading. It wasn't until I was a few years older re-reading the books that I understood.

Yesterday, Kellyanne "Alternative Facts" Conway, complained how no one talked about "Bowling Green Massacre" as she used it as justification for the EO banning Muslims from 7 countries. Of course no one talks about it, it never happened. Two men were arrested on terrorism charges, but there was no massacre, no one was shot or hurt.

However on Jan. 29th, 2017, a White, Nationalistic Canadian - Alexandre Bissonnette - massacred 6 people in their place of worship, while injuring another 19. Why aren't we talking about what we are going to do to keep us safe from radicalized white neo-nazi's? Oh right...because they are running the White House right now. They are blatantly lying to the American public to further their own self-interests.

Remember - words have meanings and those meanings are powerful regardless if they are used correctly or if they are misused.




Comments

Popular Posts