Exploration: Shaw Nature Reserve

August 9th 2017

I love the Shaw Nature Reserve. It is one of my favorite places in St. Louis, and I have visited it several times since moving to St. Louis. Today, hiked trails new to me: The Prairie Trail and The Brush Creek Trail (Shaw Nature Reserve Trails).


I was there mid-day, the sky was clear, and the sun was shining. 

The prairie flowers were spectacular,  especially (just to highlight a few)

Rattle Snake Master (Erygnium yuccifolium)


Joe Pye Weed (Eutrochium purpureum)


Blazing Star (Liatris sp.)


Silphium sp. (I don't remember if this is Compass Plant or Prairie Dock)


Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasiculata)




And where there are flowers blooming, butterflies and other pollinators appear. 










The wetlands were a bit dried out, as is typical for this time of year, but water lilies were still abundant. 







Comments

Popular Posts